So, today is my final post - I can't believe two weeks have flown by so quickly!!
This trip has been so much fun and I have seen and done so many interesting things I never thought I would have the chance to! (Thanks to everyone who helped make this a reality for me!). So, as I look back over the past couple of weeks, there are some things I have learned that I would love to share with all of you! For those of you who have been to Italy before, this will all be familiar, for those who have not, let me help give you a taste of some of the things I have found interesting:
1. Every ristorante you sit down at for dinner doesn't serve up complimentary water like back in the US. Here, they give you the option of; Acqua Naturale or Acqua Fizzante for the bargain price of about $2 Euros each ($2.60 back home). When you ask the server what that means, they basically say "gas or no gas". So, regular water or tonic water. Now, I had to push further and understand what is up with the "gas" water....why drink that stuff without Gin in it (my personal favorite). I was told that Italians prefer gas water because it cleans the palette and helps with digestion. So, for those of you reading this...if you have a hard time digesting your food - get gas water!
2. Toilet seats are a scarce commodity here. Back home we are use to having nice, large toilet seats - some plastic, some wood, some padded, some clear with fish....you name it we have it. Here, the toilet seats (when there is one) is very thin. In most cases, the toilet is just the bowl. Well, as you can imagine, the body is used to sitting for certain activities and it doesn't work well without a seat. TMI....I know....but I had to share! So, my advice is...if you find one with a seat...take full advantage. One more thing about the bathrooms here - most are unisex so you share with the boys. Urinals and water closets all together. A bit odd.......
3. SUVs and large cars just don't exist here. One girl working in our hotel just bought a Volkswagen Golf and actually referred to it as a "large vehicle". WHAT??? It's true though....and if you ask me the Italians have it right (much more eco-friendly). Even their vans and trucks aren't much bigger than Jen's Jetta. Most Italians drive a SMART car and it's funny because you see cars plugged in everywhere we go. Also, the majority of Italians drive scooters. I think the scooter population to car population is five to one. The scooters don't have "road rules" so they drive like crazy people. I have to admit, I am quite proud of our group for not getting taken out by a car or scooter on this trip.
4. Now, breakfast here has been something for me to get used to and I will admit, it's been really, really hard. As a gal who likes her bacon and eggs, Italian breakfast is not an easy adjustment. Most places (including our hotel) serve a cold plate of hams and cheeses with croissants and roles. There is also a pastry selection (not donuts). I have been opting for the toast each day....but you never see bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, french toast.....they just don't eat that for breakfast. I will say this though...they do have omelette's on their dinner menu (but I haven't tried one yet...perhaps tonight I will!!). It's fun immersing yourself in a new culture, but sometimes I don't do so well...I just can't have a sandwich for breakfast.
5. There are several cafe shops in Florence, however, you will never see one offering a to-go cup....they just don't do it. Italians take their time and go in to an establishment, order a cafe or cappuchino and sit at the counter talking and laughing while enjoying their beverages. Back home we grab a cup and hit the road...always on to the next thing not taking the time to enjoy the people around you. I found this sweet...and it's been nice not seeing Starbuck's every time you turn the corner. And just to add this in: Italian coffee rocks. I have never had better coffee anywhere.
6. Dinner time is very late here. Most ristorante's don't start getting a crowd until 9:30pm or even later. The typical day here is work in the morning, an afternoon ripossa (nap) followed by more work. Then, they go home and come out late in the evening for dinner. After dinner, most people congregate at a local square where live musicians are performing. Most nights, we haven't gotten back to the hotel until after midnight..sometimes later. It's a different pace here and people actually take time to enjoy meals, beverages and the people they are with.
7. Hair. Well, what can I say...Italy is very humid so this hasn't been the best two weeks for my hair. It starts off straight in the morning and by mid-afternoon it's curly curly! I might have to work on a new product process if it's going to be humid back home.
So, as I look back, these were a few things I wanted to share.
Best culture moment: I know my most memorable and favorite thing while in Italy was sitting on the Ponte Vecchio listening to the musicians at night. The moon over the river was beautiful, the weather was perfect and we were in good company with Jen's classmates. It was everything I thought it would be!
My favorite piece of art: Allegory of Spring by Botticelli (Uffizi Gallery). See left photo at top.
Favorite night: It would have to be dancing in Rome.
Best Ristorante: Za' Za' (Florence). I had the best chicken with rosemary and potatoes.
Best Gelato Shop: Grom (Florence). It's whipped cream gelato. YUM!
Favorite city: Venice (but all of them were amazing)
Well, that's it. Time to wrap it up and go back to the hotel to start packing.
Thanks to everyone who stayed with me during this journey! I will have more stories to share when I get home (and Jen took about 1000 pictures - not kidding)
......until then, ciao!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amy, Have a safe trip home...I always like to hear: "Welcome Home" from the the custom's agent. Especially after an amazing trip like you have just experienced. Looking forward to your stories and thank you for being such an amazing tour guide. This may be a calling of yours!!!
ReplyDelete